Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Using BChannel on PRI Interface for DialOut

Hi Folks,

I have a cisco 3620 with a PRI interface (E1) and 30DM. I can configure the router to dialout to an ISP using one of the asynchronous modems in the pool.

I was wondering if it is possible to use a BChannel to make this call purely digital and instantaneous.

Whenever I do a show interface, I see the B Channels which come up as S0/x

I can obviously configure the D Channel but when I try to access a "B Channel", the router tells me "B-Channel not accessible or something like that" (sorry I forgot the exact term ... it's been two weeks).

Is it possible to grab a couple of B Channels and use them in a dialpool, and all that other related good stuff. I would love it if we could do this. Unfortunately, I don't have space to put Physical BRI' Interfaces on the router anymore, so if there is a way to plug into some of those B Channels, I would be very glad if you could show me your expertees.

Thanks for all your help and insight

Manish Hira

CCNA

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Using BChannel on PRI Interface for DialOut

interface serial0:23

dialer pool-member 1 max-link 2

encap ppp

ppp multilink

interface Dialer0

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 ( or ip add negotiated)

encapsulation ppp

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

dialer pool 1

dialer remote-name abcd (if you know)

dialer string xxxx

dialer-group 1

no cdp enable

ppp authentication chap

ppp chap hostname xyz (login name provided by ISP)

ppp chap password xxx

ppp multilink

This gives you the option of using the B channels...the other end needs to be an ISDN interface to work.

Thanks, Makarand.

Makarand,

Thanks for the config info. I see what I need to do. My mistake was that I was trying to enter a specific group of B-Channels to make them part of a dialpool.

I never knew thought of trying to enter the dialpool command for the D Channel.

Thanks once again.

I will let you guys know when I successfully do this within the next few days.

Manish

Cisco Employee

All the b-channels will inherit the config from the D-channel..So configuring D-channel (interface serial x:23) is a way to configure the group of b-chans.

Now you can dedicate one of the PRI line (all the b chans) to be used when you try to dialout but you can't dedicate only certain b channels for that.

Visit the following url for that

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/modemdialoutcontroller.html

You can use dialer profiles to dialout on the pri line but the b chans will be picked by the router in a random manner..

Hi Tejal,

Thanks for your help on this. I will definitely try and see if I can do this within the next 5 days.

Manish

Views
Helpful
Replies