Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Using BGP in a "private environment" with private address

1. I´d like to know if someone have any case using private address in a private environment with BGP?

2. Does Cisco´s BGP implementation has any problem to handle Private Address?

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: Using BGP in a "private environment" with private address

Hi.

As far as I know BGP behaviour is the same if you use public or private addresses.

Rgds.

NM

Hi,

I have test it in a private networks and I haven't problems.

You can do it but you must use the private number for to create the AS.

the private number are between 64512 to 65535.

Bye

Well, you only would really need to use the privateAS's if you are also planning to hook your network to the public Internet using BGP. It's probably a good idea to do so, but you don't strictly need to do so. I know several organizations that use BGP to route part of their internal network, and they use private addresses to do so, but connect to the Internet with default routes and therefore do not peer BGP with an ISP, and therefore do not use or need to use privateAS numbers.

Hi

I am agree, but this company must be very big, isn´t it?

When I have this case I configure IGP (OSPF, EIGRP...)

Bye

It's not even that the companies are really that big. It usually has more to do with political problems within the company. For example, I know of several companies that merged with other companies, and therefore needed to integrate several networks together. Each individual entity's network was working fine, and nobody wanted to jeopardize their existing network, so they decided to hook the networks together using eBGP as a "temporary" solution, because this is much easier than, say, IGP redistribution. The idea is that they will use eBGP for awhile while they slowly integrate the various networks IGP's together. But of course, years later, the "temporary" solution is still in place, and nobody wants to do any IGP integration because people don't want to risk any outages.

Using IGP's is fine if you have a centralized network management staff that has full power over the entire network. But when you have several independent networking pieces, whether they be parts of merged companies or various company divisions, or whatever, then that introduces all kinds of political problems that IGP's cannot easily deal with.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content