cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using console port on 3550 as "terminal server" ?

ERIK ELMER
Level 1
Level 1

I assume this cannot be done, but would appreciate if anyone knowing that it works tells me how to do it. The idea is to connect remotely to the console port of another unit via the console port of a 3550 switch. Is EMI sw version needed,

or is it impossible anyhow ? What TCP port no is to be used ? (2000?)

4 Replies 4

raymong
Level 4
Level 4

I'm not clear about exactly how you want to set this up, but you can connect a console cable to the switch and reverse telnet to it from the terminal server. Here is a link with more information on how to set this up. (the link also includes details about cable pinouts, etc)

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/comm_server.html

Thanks, for Your suggestion. But it is to be done with the 3550 as the terminal server. And then I only have the console port which does not seem capable to

support the necessary commands.

Hello,

I have quite the same task to be analyzed. Have you managed to find out is that possible or not?

Thanks,

Mike

Have not found any solution. The IOS on the 3550 is rather limited and there is not support for some commands I assume (maybe) could have done it.

Rgds, Erik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: