cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using etherchannel on 6500 to route traffic

droberts
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 6500 and want to route traffic between them (notice, NOT trunk vlans or anything). Can someone confirm my steps.

1. Login to each Supervisor (6500) separately and create a vlan (set vlan 101 mychannel).

2. On each Supervisor (6500), set port channel 1/1-2

Make sure to set desireable on one I think.

3. On each 6500->MSFC, assign ip address to the 'interface vlan'. Say 10.1.1.1, 10.1.1.2.

4. For simplicity, add static default gateway on first 6500 'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.2'

Sound somewhat correct?

Q: will the traffic them be shared over both lines and will it be fine if one gets unplugged?

2 Replies 2

david.hubbard
Level 1
Level 1

As far as FEC is concerned the channel will always look like one logical link (STP will see this as one link as well) when traffic is routed. If one link drops convergence to the other links is transparent (ms in time)

Are these being configured as redundant swithces? (i.e. using HSRP for vlan interfaces). A routing protocol like EIGRP will certainly help for routing purposes.

How much traffic is going to be moving across the FEC? Could you use a RJ-48 module with (4) TX ports for channeling between the two the swithces. Using the GBIC's on the supervisor engine are always nice to use for connections into a core.

Yes you can use the commands that you have listed above.

Good luck

Thank you for your help.

These switches are not redundant. I was more or less trying to both increase the uplink bandwidth and redundancy. I don't expect to have too much traffic but will be supporting multicast traffic.

Thanks for the confirmation of commands.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: