Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Using ILMI to manage PVC's

I have a Cisco 3640 host router connected to a Lucent CBX500 Wan switch via ATM DS3. There are multiple remote sites that are connecting into the same CBX switch via FrameRelay T1's. On the ATM host router, I have ILMI enabled on the physical interface using pvc 0/16. On each PVC for the remotes (using sub-ifs), I have "ilmi manage" enabled. These PVC's are riding VPI 3. My problem is that I can only seem to manage one PVC with ILMI. As soon as I try to manage a second PVC using "ilmi manage", the PVC goes down. If I remove the "ilmi manage" statement on this second pvc, it comes back up. Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening? Thanks.

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Using ILMI to manage PVC's

You cannot manage multiple PVC's with ILMI unless configuring through a VC class and even with that it is bound to one interface or subinterface. ILMI manage just changes the default 0/16 to whatever you want it to be.

For PVC end to end management (ILMI will not do end to end pvc management) OAM might be your better choice since you can enable this on all PVC's on your router, assuming that whatever is termintating your PVC's on the other side supports OAM as well.

See the following link for the ilmi magage command on how PVC configuration is inherited depending on how this is implemented.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/wan_r/wratm/wrdatmtx.htm#xtocid23

Hope this helps,

Don

Thanks, Don.

Since this is an ATM-to-Frame PVC, the OAM loopback cells don't seem to translate over to the Frame side, causing the ATM sub-if and PVC to go down. Looking at the vc-class you mentioned, if it's applied to the main interface, would it then manage every PVC on each of the sub-ifs?

Silver

I don't think that it would go on them. Just either main or subinterface. Since you are using Frame to ATM I would think that OAM should be able to be mapped for PVC end to end management.

See this link for that:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/121/frf8_pvc_manage.html

Hope

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content