cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using SNMP to acquire running image on MSFC

STUART KENDRICK
Level 1
Level 1

I've written a PERL script which upgrades the image on a CatOS device; now I want to extend this script to support IOS devices.

But I'm having trouble finding an SNMP variable which reports the name of the currently running image in an IOS device.

Any pointers?

For the CatOS, "sysBootVariable.0" does this nicely, returning a string which looks like "bootflash:cat4000-cv.5-5-11.bin".

I've found "sysConfigName.0", from the OLD-CISCO-SYSTEM-MIB, and this returns the information I want in some of my older Cisco devices ... and even on my Catalyst 35xx boxes ... but this string is empty on MSFCs. And I'm not thrilled about using variables from this MIB; it has the word "deprecated" all over it.

The "ceExtSysBootImageList.0" variable from CISCO-ENTITY-EXT-MIB looks promising ... but I don't think that the MSFC supports this MIB.

The CISCO-SYSTEM-MIB seemed like a reasonable place to find such a variable ... but I don't see anything resembling what I want in it.

CISCO-IMAGE-MIB is very promising ... but I don't understand the answer I'm getting.

Here is output from an snmpwalk on one of my MSFCs ("cf-a-rtr").

uluc04% snmpwalk -m all -c public cf-a-rtr ciscoImageTable

enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.ciscoImageMIB.ciscoImageMIBObjects.ciscoImageTable.c

iscoImageEntry.ciscoImageString.1 = CW_BEGIN$-gs-dsv-m$

enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.ciscoImageMIB.ciscoImageMIBObjects.ciscoImageTable.c

iscoImageEntry.ciscoImageString.2 = CW_IMAGE$C6MSFC-DSV-M$

iscoImageEntry.ciscoImageString.3 = CW_FAMILY$C6MSFC$

iscoImageEntry.ciscoImageString.4 = CW_FEATURE$IP|IPX|AT|DEC|IBM|VIP $

iscoImageEntry.ciscoImageString.5 = CW_VERSION$12.1(8a)E2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT$

iscoImageEntry.ciscoImageString.6 = CW_MEDIA$RAM$

iscoImageEntry.ciscoImageString.7 = CW_SYSDESCR$Cisco Internetwork Operating Sys

tem Software

IOS (tm) MSFC Software (C6MSFC-DSV-M), Version 12.1(8a)E2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELE

ASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac

Copyright (c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 03-Aug-01 08:40 by hqluong$

iscoImageEntry.ciscoImageString.8 = CW_END$-gs-dsv-m$

I don't understand these CW_XXXX tokens ... how can I translate them into something which looks like "bootflash:c6msfc-dsv-mz.121-8b.E7.bin"?

If you know how to acquire the name of the currently running image on an MSFC, please let me know.

--sk

1 Reply 1

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

If it's the IOS version you are looking for it's available from MIB-II.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco