Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

using switch as a router

How would I do this, and why would I assign an ip to one of the ethernet interfaces on it ?

3 REPLIES

Re: using switch as a router

You can only use a L3 switch as a router whihc has L3 capability.On some of the switches like 3550,3560,3750 you have to enable " ip routing " to enable routing and high end's like 4500 and 6500 has routing enabled by default.

On an L3 switch you can define SVI i.e vlan interfaces with ip whihc will be gatewy to your hosts for inter-vlan routing or you can configure the ports as L3 ports whihc will inturn connect to a a router. So assigning an IP of a switches interface make it a L3 port and you have to use " no switchport " command to do that.

HTH,

-amit singh

So if I assign an ip to a switchport can I set this as the default gateway to my clients, can I put static routes and eigrp on there too ?

yes ! but some L3 switch dont support routing protocol.

on other side ,if you assign ip to a switchport ,the command "no switchport "must bu use!

best regards

Views
Helpful
Replies