cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using User Tracking on a network without any domain controllers ?

annpb
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all !

What should I do to track user name on Windows clients using UserTracking if

my network is a garbage of Windows-installed workstations with no any domain

controllers (that means they're standing alone and I do not have priviledge

to install active directory onto thems !).When using UserTracking, I do not

see the IP and hostnames of those PCs. Cisco recommend to track users using

a logon script on the primary domain controller but I can not do that

because of the above reason !

Regards !

5 Replies 5

t.raina
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The Ip address and hostname collection has nothing to do with a domain controller.The Campus manager should be able to display you the IP hostnames and addresses irrespective of Windows clients logging to domain.

The only thing which is affected is that you won't be able to see user names in User tracking applications.

I suggest you put the script in the batch file on all clients manually and then try it ..

But login locally to windows .

Hope It helps and sorry for any mistakes as I am also learnign like you

What will be happened if my network has more than 100 users ? Should I go through all of my net and manually installed the script on each PCs on such network ? Why did not Cisco ease such that way like other network utilities that can help us discover all user and their IP addresses on a net ? I don't like the way using UserTracking and find out active usernames by another utilities !

Regards !

I believe you have no option if you do not have a PDC on your network.

I'm afraid you would have to use the script locally on each machine (if this is possible, I'm not aware of any local 'login script' for Win clients).

Don't be too hard on User Tracking, can you think of any other app that will tell you exactly which switch port a rogue MAC address is connected to ? If you want user name awareness you are asking a Layer 2 or 3 management tool to suddenly become layer 7 aware and know what the userid used by an application is.

I should use another third-party software instead in order to track username! I've tried the package from Solawinds.net and it works well ! But it is an evaluation only ! Have you already used such software but official version ?

Regards !

bm_5789
Level 1
Level 1

OK! I have the same problem with User Tracking. Out of approx. 1800 workstations, i can see the hostname and ip address of only 59. To confound matters even more, some of the workstations are connected to 3Com switches. Also, i get a hostname and ip address on a network printer. Anyways, I opened a TAC case with Cisco and after some troubleshooting by the Cisco Tech, I was told that because my network has more than 256 nodes, User Tracking would do a ping sweep(even though it appeared that it was) and therefore, i could not acquire the hostnames and ip addresses.......in spite of the fact that i did acquire 59 of them. The Tech also assured me that i would not be able to acquire the hostnames and ip addresses of anything connected to a 3Com switch.......obviously he was wrong. In fact, he could not explain how i was getting the hostnames and ip addresses of the workstations connected to the 3Com switch. The problem is, in the manual for Campus Manager, there is an example of how User Tracking can be used to troubleshoot connectivity problems.......a very useful reason to purchase the software, but I would advise anyone contemplating buying Campus Manager or the entire CiscoWorks LMS Bundle to really do their homework to see if the expense is worth it. Perhaps HPOpenview may be a more suitable choice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: