Views
Helpful
Replies

using VLAN,s

fasi74
Level 1
Level 1

Well i have a single network with at the moment 200 cleints PC,s

now i am merging 3 more networks with almost the same amount of PC,s so my network will grow 300%.

now i have 7 servers running on my LAN which provides diffrent things such as email service, internet service, computer gaming service & huge data file transfer,s "files in GB's"

my network is 10/100mbps & its not currently possible for me to upgrade to 1000mbps, so how should i use VLAN,s to optimize my network of best performace ?

for starters i am going to use cisco 2900 switch this i already have.

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Faisi,

You can create vlans on your lan switches to create seperate broadcast domains but if you requirement is that all vlans should talk to each other then you need to have intervlan routing which is possible on layer 3 switch or some router.

You can also create vlans for your server also and keep all your servers on those vlans and get the other vlans to talk to them via intervlan routing and can restrict other vlans to talk to each other.

Like if you have vlans 3 for server and vlan 2 and vlan 1 for users you can have vlan 1 & vlan 2 to talk to vlan 3 but can restrict vlan 1 talking to vlan 2 but this is all possible if you have some layer 3 switch liek 3550 and above or some external router for intr vlan routing and configured access list to restrict traffic vlan wise.

To create vlan you can just go to global config mode and create vlan

Switch(config)# vlan 2

Switch(config-vlan)# exit

Switch(config)#

Have a look at this link as how to create vlans on global config mode

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12120ea2/2950cr/cli3.htm#wp2879531

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Faisi,

You can create vlans on your lan switches to create seperate broadcast domains but if you requirement is that all vlans should talk to each other then you need to have intervlan routing which is possible on layer 3 switch or some router.

You can also create vlans for your server also and keep all your servers on those vlans and get the other vlans to talk to them via intervlan routing and can restrict other vlans to talk to each other.

Like if you have vlans 3 for server and vlan 2 and vlan 1 for users you can have vlan 1 & vlan 2 to talk to vlan 3 but can restrict vlan 1 talking to vlan 2 but this is all possible if you have some layer 3 switch liek 3550 and above or some external router for intr vlan routing and configured access list to restrict traffic vlan wise.

To create vlan you can just go to global config mode and create vlan

Switch(config)# vlan 2

Switch(config-vlan)# exit

Switch(config)#

Have a look at this link as how to create vlans on global config mode

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12120ea2/2950cr/cli3.htm#wp2879531

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

uvaraj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You should at least have one Layer 3 switch to have inter-vlan routing and then you can create VLAN as you wish and place servers in one VLAN and other clients in different subnet. This will optimize you network performance.

For 1gbps output you can procure 3700 series switch.

Regards

Uvaraj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: