cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using vlan1 on Cisco switches and router

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

What are reasons why vlan1 should not be used on Cisco switches and routers?

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

The only significant thing about VLAN 1 is it's the default VLAN. Switch security can be enhanced by moving the management interface out of VLAN 1, but that's about it.

when i design a campus, i like to leave all user access and the management VLAN off of VLAN 1.

The argument is that when someone comes along and installs a switch without bothering to configure it - it wont work. So they cant mess up my carefully designed network by ignoring config.

Of course they can still get the config wrong, but this way they have to think about the config before the ports can talk to anything on another switch.

Stephen

when i design a campus, i like to leave all user access and the management VLAN off of VLAN 1.

The argument is that when someone comes along and installs a switch without bothering to configure it - it wont work. So they cant mess up my carefully designed network by ignoring config.

Of course they can still get the config wrong, but this way they have to think about the config before the ports can talk to anything on another switch.

Stephen

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VLAN1 is usually the management VLAN. It is then recommended not to use it to carry "normal" data. This way, if a broadcast storm occurs in a data vlan for instance, switches can still be accessed via the management VLAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco