Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Utilization Report???

I need to be able to have information showing me the last time data was transfered in each port on a switch (90 days). I was told it was simply called a Utilization Report. However, I can not find this by using the site search. My goal is to free up unused data ports instead of expanding my network. Thank you

Re: Utilization Report???

If it's a CatOS switch, try "show port x/x" and "show port counter". They will show traffic on each port since the last time you cleared your counters ("clear counters"). What you can do is clear the counters, wait for a period of time and then look for traffic on the ports.

If it's IOS, "show interface fx/x" will show you the traffic stats and the last time the port saw input/output packets. Again, "clear counter fx/x" can be used as well.

Low tech methods but free and it works.

Going forward you can also look at a free tool called mrtg:

It can graph your traffic per port (actually it can graph almost any MIB data from your network devices - like mem/cpu/packets/bandwidth/temp/etc) so you know what is going on (eg. capacity planning). Point your devices to your mrtg server/PC and every 5+ minutes (configurable) it graphs the data for you.

Hope it helps.

Community Member

Re: Utilization Report??? Linmor's low cost Perf. Monitor provides historical reporting data and monitors in real-time (seconds) or contact for more info.

CreatePlease to create content