Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Utilizing dual Supervisors on 5xxx series?

Question...

I have a Catalyst 5500 in place.

There is 1 supervisor engine currently in the chassis (obviously with a few Eth blades as well...) but my question is can I pop another Supervisor engine in and have both in operation?

I know that a second Supervisor can be used as a failover, however I'd like for this specific second super to control / dedicate resources to a specific blade or two. Is this possible?

TIA!!!

2 REPLIES

Re: Utilizing dual Supervisors on 5xxx series?

As far as I know.. I've never heard of a dual-superivsor capability in anything other than a 4500/6500 series switch. Now assuming you were running a 4500/6500.. you would not be able to allocate certain resources or blades to specific supervisor engines.. as they are not capable of this. Standby supervisors are used purely for redunancy/fail-over purposes only.. and play no other "active" role in the switches' operation. Hope this helps..

- Matt

Re: Utilizing dual Supervisors on 5xxx series?

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I found out that the only way to run dual Supervisors is in a "standby" mode for failover... Works in the 5500 as well, but no help.

Oh well!

Views
Helpful
Replies