cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Utilizing VLANS on our Network

davisr651
Level 1
Level 1

recently, we purchased 3 Cisco 4500 switches, and i am now looking a setting up VLANS. I have roughly 350 nodes on the network. I do not have any reason to implement spanning across swithes, so, for each of my switches, would it make sense to change the default VLAN 1 to create a VLAN for each Switch 48 port switch module in each of my switch Chassis? (there are 6 48 port switch modules in each of my cisco chassis). And, I dont have to setup ISL between the VLANS within the chassis itself, or does it magically know to use the backplane..

(im new to this :)....thanks

rob davis

2 Replies 2

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

It is better to segment the network in different subnets/vlan. You can segment them depending on location or department. If you decided to segment them in to separate vlans/network and these vlans will span the 3 different switches, you will need to trunk and that means using ISL or Dot1Q. Assuming that you have the L3 capable sups for this 4500, you will need to enable routing on one or two of the 4500 so that inter-vlan and general routing can be accomplished. No need to worry about the backplane, there no need to configure anything regarding the backplane.

Here is a link on Vlan desgin guide:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/nd2012.htm

Please rate helpful posts.

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi,

what i suggess you...its better to creat multiple vlan with multiple subnet and put your different departments in to the different vlan with name...if you will not go for the vlan then you will have large broadcast in your network so it is more better to break broadcast using the vlan so the perticular brodcast of the department will remain in that vlan only and other vlan will not affected by that...and using vlan you will also have the isolation between different department...and use intervlan routing using trunking like dot1Q or ISL...

hope this will help you

rate the post if it helps

regards

Devang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: