Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started.

UTP gigabit port on 2950

Folks,

I have a 2950 24 port switch with 2 gigabit ports. One is used for an uplink with another 2950.

The other is an UTP card to connect to a server. When i plug the server in i can see activity on the server card & the switch but can't log on or ping anything.

I've tried with the server card set to AUTO & to gigabit but still no joy.

The server works fine on a 100Mb port on the same switch

Any hints/help?

thanks in anticipation

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: UTP gigabit port on 2950

What type of server and what kind of NIC card does it have? Can you also paste the output of "sh int gigabitEthernet 0/x" and "sh ver" from the 2950

Sorry for my delay in replying to your post.

We got the problem resolved. The port needed the spanning tree portfast command set - the dhcp packets were timing out

thanks anyway!

Hi,

did you check your UTP line and patchcords? For gigabit are all 8 wires needed.

Tomas

All our UTP cables were cat5e, however, we got the problem resolved. The port needed the spanning tree portfast command set - the dhcp packets were timing out

thanks anyway!

Hi !!

Infact we also installed the 2950 switch 10/100/1000 Switches, I aleadry mailed to Cisco, I got a reply from Cisco mentioning that they are looking in to this issue. I complained by November 2002, Still waiting. The replied person was shylne shoemaker.

Meanwhile I can suggest you to go for 100mbps full duplex with 2 pair cross over. Infact I tried with 4pair crossover which failed to work.

Cheers !!

Rajan

We got the problem resolved. The port needed the spanning tree portfast command set - the dhcp packets were timing out

thanks anyway!

Views
Helpful
Replies