Views
Helpful
Replies

UTP gigabit port on 2950

mulhollandm
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

I have a 2950 24 port switch with 2 gigabit ports. One is used for an uplink with another 2950.

The other is an UTP card to connect to a server. When i plug the server in i can see activity on the server card & the switch but can't log on or ping anything.

I've tried with the server card set to AUTO & to gigabit but still no joy.

The server works fine on a 100Mb port on the same switch

Any hints/help?

thanks in anticipation

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of server and what kind of NIC card does it have? Can you also paste the output of "sh int gigabitEthernet 0/x" and "sh ver" from the 2950

Sorry for my delay in replying to your post.

We got the problem resolved. The port needed the spanning tree portfast command set - the dhcp packets were timing out

thanks anyway!

t.fiala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

did you check your UTP line and patchcords? For gigabit are all 8 wires needed.

Tomas

All our UTP cables were cat5e, however, we got the problem resolved. The port needed the spanning tree portfast command set - the dhcp packets were timing out

thanks anyway!

rajan_kannan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !!

Infact we also installed the 2950 switch 10/100/1000 Switches, I aleadry mailed to Cisco, I got a reply from Cisco mentioning that they are looking in to this issue. I complained by November 2002, Still waiting. The replied person was shylne shoemaker.

Meanwhile I can suggest you to go for 100mbps full duplex with 2 pair cross over. Infact I tried with 4pair crossover which failed to work.

Cheers !!

Rajan

We got the problem resolved. The port needed the spanning tree portfast command set - the dhcp packets were timing out

thanks anyway!