Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Very high collision rate on Cat6509 (ws-x6348)

We have immensely collision rates on 10/100tx ports connected to Lancast (Metrobility) media converters. To these are connected clients with ati2450 NICs. Though the collisions are above 10%, the network performance for the clients is not visibly reduced. The auto-negotiation results in a-10 and a-half.

What causes thisamount of collisions and how can they be reduced?

3 REPLIES

Re: Very high collision rate on Cat6509 (ws-x6348)

First thing I would try is to turn off the auto-negotiation and force duplex and speed to the desired setting on both the NIC and the 6509.

This may fix your problem.

Regards

Barry Hart

Purple

I agree , I haven't seen too many media converters that are auto negotiating , these ports should be hardcoded , if you connecting to another catos switch then it should be hardcoded to 10/full duplex to completly eliminate collisions .

Purple

After reading your reply further I see that it is connecting to clients , if the switch connected at 10 meg then the clients are not autonegotiating , if they were they would have negotiated at 100 meg , if the clients are able code to 10/full if not then code 10/half and make the switch port setting equal , do not use auto on the switch .

Views
Helpful
Replies