cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Very Odd connect problem

incjones
Level 1
Level 1

Have several people in one building. they can get thru the system with ping and everything. But, when they try to open email the systems hang.. I could say this was an exchange problem except, no one else in other buildings has this problem, only the ones in this one building, this is why I think it is a network issue with in the router or switch. Plus, as network admin I can open their mail boxes and attachements with out error. I have remote controlled their systems and pinged the server with no problems. any suggestions....

5 Replies 5

rowbocd
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on your network design and implementation, and prior to spending a significant amount of time troubleshooting a potential desktop issues, I would have one of the affected personnel use a workstation in the area that is known to be good. I am always suspect to these type of problems as our desktop support group consistently jumps to a conclusion of a network problem. Only to find later the customers shared a file ect... With our design if one device in an area is having a problem communicating then they all are having a problem, barring a physical connectivity of customer inflicted software problem.

faheyd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You may have pinged by IP address, but can you ping by 'name'. This will check your netbios NT stuff. That will get on the correct path to fix the problem.

NT has all sorts of 'gotchas' built into the OS. Connecting to microsofts technet will help with the proper search words.

I really do like when someone says it's a network issue, but then say they pinged the distant end....but I get that alot from NT people.

(I'm teasing, just in case anyone takes it seriously)

mnordhoff
Level 1
Level 1

You might also check for ACLs in your router that might be blocking TCP or UDP ports necessary for proper operation of Windows and/or Exchange.

If this building is in a different IP subnet than the one the Exchange server is located, then you MUST configure the router/MSFC with "ip helper address" command.

this is required for the Netbios session connectivity along with RPC connectivity.

check this out.

I have 60 different networks accessing the Exhange server here and not one of the 40 routers has the ' ip helper address'. I guess it would depend on his particular NT setup. You may be right on as far as his setup is concerned though.