cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

viewing IP's connected to catalyst 500 24tt ports

eeverdyke
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to see what IP is connected to a port on the 500 series switch. The management console shows that a device is connected at 10Mb/half duplex and I would like to know which node it is. I also downloaded and installed network assistant but still can't view this info.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

thank you

Eric

10 Replies 10

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

If the switch is layer 2 only, you cannot display the IP address and you can only find the host's MAC address by checking ARP table.

Try to use Reverse ARP to the MAC address map to IP address.

BTW, why not trace the physical wire from the switch, you should have the record to show which cable connects to which port then the user.

Hope this helps.

Thank you jackyoung. I did use a switch port mapper that returned the MAC addresses. Now i have to learn more about RARP.

Unfortunately, a lot of add, move, changes makes any of our topology documentation obsolete. That'll teach me to keep up on that.

thanks again

I don't know what is possible on this switch but on the higher end models CDP is available to find out things such as IP/egress/ingress ports etc if the other end device is Cisco/CDP compatible.

anar
Level 1
Level 1

You can connect a sniffer host to this link and it will show you. Most of devices send periodic broadcasts/multicasts. And you will see that in your sniffer window.

Thank you for all the help. This is definitely not a high end model switch.

There is one problem I am trying to solve:

I installed two 500 express switches in the same rack in the server room. They are both connected to the same layer 3 switch. But when i try to access the web-based console on one of them, it is dog slow...unusable in fact. This is from any windows machine. When i connect a laptop directly to a port, it works fine. I swapped out uplink cables and swapped ports on the layer 3 switch but this didn't change anything

So...

I wanted to know who or what is connected to the port. Is it a printer or a workstation and why are some connected at 10 half of full and another is connected at 100 half. And what are the ramifications of not setting the port to the proper role (printer, workstation, etc) and is this the reason for the web console being unusable.

So...(long version)

I need to know the IP's as the Mac's are useless to me. I had the opportunity to use Solar Winds once and that would work perfect for this application.

Funny thing, though. A linux box I built was able to access the offending switch with no problem. Not sure if it is because of firefox or the tcp stack that linux uses.

Sorry if too much info and thanks again.

Eric

I think you find the problem. What I think some ports some full duplex and some are half that is fine. The most important is the duplex and speed matching between the port and the direct connected host. So please ensure all hosts are matched w/ the port.

Some old machines do not support full duplex and it is fine to set it as half. In some full duplex machine, you may try to set both ports and host as full duplex to prevent any incorrect auto-negoitation of the duplex.

If you ensure all ports are matached then I will consider it as application problem instead or switch or port problem.

Hope this helps.

could the problem with the webpage be as simple as a loop? Or the IP for the switch is given twice ? is STP active ?

Thanks frazreid. Funny thing...the alerts section of the console says that the ports are being blocked by STP. I tried disconnecting all cable to the switch except the uplink to our layer three switch but the web page access didn't improve. I need to more about why the alert mentions being blocked by spanning tree. thanks again

Thanks jackyoung. I toned most of the machines and printers in the office area and found the jet direct boxes were connecting at 10/half so I set the ports with the role "printer".

The whole problem is still the slow access to the web console unless i use my linux box. I may have to try firefox on windows to see if it is the browser that is causing the problem.

Do you mean when you disconnect the printer from the network and it still slow ?

It is good to try other browser. However, did you experience any slow performance on other applications ? e.g. FTP ?

Moreover, try to set the port which is direct connect to a host as portfast in SPT or use RSPT (if it supports).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: