Views
Helpful
Replies

virteual-template IP address

aretsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am working on a special remote access issue (remote access MPLS/VPN), I configured the router with a virtual-profile and a virtual-template, and also I am using a RADIUS server that will provide the users an IP address, so I am using a the RADIUS Server an AVpair like this:

lcp:interface-config=ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

But it does not work, so I try to enter this command manually, and here is what I get:

PE2-BETA-MTY(config)#int virtual-template 1

PE2-BETA-MTY(config-if)#ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

Bad mask /32 for address 1.1.1.1

Then I tried to enter a /31 and I works, so ...

Is this the normal behavior? Is there a way I can enter a host IP address to this interface?

If you have any idea please let me know.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

larry.mateo
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Alejandro: It is my understanding that a subnet mask of /32 is not allowed because it would identify the subnet as the total 32 bit ip address with no remaining bits available to specify individual hosts within the subnet. The /31 works because you now have 1 bit available for host identification; not too helpful, however. It seems that you just need to determine the proper subnet mask for the ip address you are attempting to apply to the interface.

I'm not familiar with the other subject areas of your note--remote MPLS/VPN, virtual-profile, virtual-template, RADIUS--so am unable to help you with them.

I understand what you said, but I think that when you assign an IP address to a dial-up user using a local pool (just for an example), the IP address that you assign is a /32 address.

that is why I dont understand that I can not assign this kind of address.

I was thinking that maybe it is something like I cannot assign this kind of address to a virtual-template interface, but i can to a virtal-access interface... I just need to confirm this.

Thanks for your answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: