Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Vlan 1 and management VLAN

I recall in CatOS, vlan 1 has to be up for management purpose, like VTP information will be trasnfered via vlan 1 between switches. Is this same for IOS switch? The reason I am asking this is because that one of design from our customer is they shutdown the vlan1 on all the switches. I am wondering that all the VTP information and other VLAN management information won't be able to send vtp client switches.Thanks

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: Vlan 1 and management VLAN

Feel free to disable VLAN 1! VTP information is propogated over your trunk ports, not vlan 1. As long as you have ISL or dot1q trunks configured to your client (vtp) switches (as well as VTP domain passwd etc), your VTP info will propogate.

Re: Vlan 1 and management VLAN

To be exact:

VTP information is propogated over your trunks tagged in VLAN1.

Even if you disable VLAN1 on a trunk, VTP, CDP and other Catalyst Control Plane Protocols are still sent in VLAN1, i.e. you can only disable VLAN1 for user data.

See VLAN1 part of http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/103.html#cat_control for details.

BUT be careful while disabling VLAN1. There were several bugs regarding the feature described above in the past. I remember one bug on Cat3550 which caused CDP and VTP not beeing sent while VLAN1 was disabled.

Regards,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.