Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN 1 down

naive.naive
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My Cat6 is running on intervlan routing (L3), with Vlan 1 shutdown status (coz I don't wan to utilize VLAN 1).

But recently, need to enabled that for some unforeseen cases. But once I've enabled it, the VLAN won't come up.

Experts, any idea ??

Thanks

14 Replies 14

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have any ports configured for VLAN-1?

Thanks.

yes, i do have..

You need to have atleast one port assigned to vlan1 that is in an up status. Or if there is an active trunk port on the switch that would cause the int vlan1 to come up as well.

Pls. rate all helpful posts.

--Sundar

i've a trunk port enabled between the switches with VLAN 1, but the only difference is the vtp domain between these 2 switches aren't the same.

but with this difference, it won't caused the VLAN to be down, right??

That's OK. Is the trunk up. Make sure, the VLANs allowed across the trunk isn't filtering vlan1. Just curious, ip routing isn't disabled on the MSFC, correct?

--Sundar

yup..i've just allowed VLAN 1 for the trunk.

switch A - multiple VLANs, routing enabled on MSFC

- created VLAN 1 with switch B subnet

switch B - one VLAN, MSFC default config

will the above config create problem??

If all the user ports are on switch B are on vlan1, all you need is to assign the port between switch A - B to be an access port on vlan1. Instead, if you have ports assigned to more than one vlan on switch B then you would need to make the port between the two switches a trunk port. Trunk Port config on both switches has to be identical.

If I understand your setup correctly then your config noted above should work.

Pls. rate all helpful posts.

--Sundar

actually my purpose is to enable both users at both switches can access each other.

it still doesnt explain why VLAN 1 still down.

Post the config of your trunk port from both switches and output of show port (trunk port #)/show trunk.

--Sundar

only can show you one of the switch trunk status..didnt managed to capture the other switch status.

SW1> (enable) show trunk

* - indicates vtp domain mismatch

# - indicates dot1q-all-tagged enabled on the port

$ - indicates non-default dot1q-ethertype value

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan

-------- ----------- ------------- ------------ -----------

1/24 on dot1q trunking* 1

Port Vlans allowed on trunk

-------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

1/24 1

Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain

1/24 1

Port Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned

1/24 1

hope this helps.

I see your trunk only allows vlan1. Why are you trunking in this case then? Just make it an access port on vlan1.

--Sundar

i'm trying to bring up VLAN 1 first, before proceeding to other VLANs..

HI

I think u r having a VTP Domain mis-match.

As to my knowledge VTP info flows on vlan1.i think the problem might be due to this.

Thanks

Mahmood

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

I have seen some access type switches that allow you to create another management VLAN other then VLAN 1. If you do VLAN 1 shuts down and you cannot bring it back up unless you shutdown the other VLAN that you made management. Since this was the case for me, it is probaly your same problem. What you need to do is if you need VLAN 1 then keep it the management VLAN and create the other VLAN but do not make it the management VLAN. or you can move the management VLAN to another VLAN other then 1 but VLAN 1 will have to stay down.. The choice is yours...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: