Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN and Workgroups

Hello

This question might be related more to NT side

I configured vlan on Catalyst 6509 and it is working fine and am routing between it and the main LAN, for the Vlan the computers that are members from it get IP 's from DHCP server while the LAN computers are on static IP.

The problem is that, the workgroups that are member of the Vlan disapeered from my Network Neighborhood, so I can't see the computers or the workgroups anymore on my network,but if I do find a computer I can find the PC i want either by IP or name.

How can I get the VLAN workgroups to show up again on the main LAN?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: VLAN and Workgroups

This sounds like a nbt browsing issue to me, especially if you can hit the computers by name or IP directly. Sounds like the segment master browser for that VLAN is not registering with the WINS server or domain master browser.

Hi,

First I hope that I'm understanding your problem correctly.

This is most likely because your "router" (I'm guessing you are using an MSFC or external router to do the Inter-VLAN routing) is doing what it's supposed to do which is to stop broadcasts. What you can do to be able to "browse" in NT, is to add an IP Helper address. ie: If your DHCP server/Domain controller is sitting on VLAN-1 and users are on VLAN-2 you need to configure on your Interface vlan-2 the following:

ip helper-address

Let me know if this works.

Thanks and good luck.

Most network (NT) designs I have seen omit the WINS server mainly because they are all on the same broadcast domain. When you created VLANs you created two broadcast domains. The router can not be configured to forward the netbios broadcast. You will need to set up a WINS. With a WINS in place each PC will need to be told the IP address of the WIN Server.

This can be done on the DHCP server or if you are using the router as a DHCP server it can be configured there also (NETBIOS-NAME-SERVER command).

With a WINS in place each Host upon booting and receiving an IP will send a message to the WINS with it's computer name and IP address. The WINS will then stuff this into it's memory. When someone opens network neighborhood the WINS will populate it for them.

Now in reality it's a bit more complicated than that. There are also host that become browse masters in each broadcast domain. This can be good or bad, if the host that becomes a browse master is pointed to the correct WINS then all is well and it takes a load off the WINS.

But, if the host that becomes a browse master is pointed to some other IP, WINS or not, the network neighborhood will not look correct.

Now, if you already have a WINS and the network neighborhood still does not look right. Check the host to make sure that the WINS address is correct. If it is correct, then check other PC's for the correct WINS. If it's a large network where you can not check each PC, use a sniffer to find out who the browse master is and check it's WINS settings.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.