cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Communication

Sureshdank
Level 1
Level 1

We have got 4507R as our core switch which is VTP server. It is connected to another switch i.e. 4506 which is in transparent mode but same VTP domain of VTP server.

Now I am trying to connect another switch to 4506 and communicate with core switch. I have configuired trunk from new switch to 4506. And have joined the new switch to same VTP domain of core and made to VTP CLIENT.

I have got all the vlans advertised from VTP server, but when I am tried to make one of the ports to access vlan, it is not able to ping to VLAN IP.

Anybody there to help.

18 Replies 18

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

r u trying to communicate with another host which is on different vlan..? if yes verify that u have intervlan-routing enabled on u r switch which ever is acting as a router.

Thanks

mahmood

I am trying to communicate with the same vlan. And intervlan-routing is already enabled on the core switch switch.

ssen010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Suresh,

You may need to allow required VLANs through the trunk. All the VLANs are propagated as within the same VTP domain but need only required VLANs to allow through the Trunk between your new Switch and the 4506.

I have allowed all the vlans through that trunk port. The trunking protocol are also same at both ends. All the switches are in the same VTP domain. But only the 4506 switch is in transparent mode, whereas 4507(Server) and 3550(Client) are in client server communication.

Hi

Can u confrim which vtp version u r running in the 4506 is it vtp version 2.if it is version 1 it will not propogate the vtp messages.and verify that u have the same domain name on this transparent switch.

What r the vlans u have defined in this switch.are the vlans defined in the switch are same as deifned on the vtp server.check these things.

Thanks

Mahmood

Its version 2. transparent switch in same in vtp domain.

the transparent switch is not having the same vlans which server is having. But the switch which I am trying to make client, it getting all the vlan from the server.

But when I try to ping the vlan from client, I am not able to.

HI

can u try this the vlan from client u r trying to ping can u create that vlan in the transparent siwtch and check it.and also check if all the vlans r allowed on the trunk links of the transparent switch.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Suresh,

Can you please confirm me few things in your setup.

You are trying to ping from the client switch itself right? If yes I think it is 4506 so which vlan you have assigned to sc0 interface or to frame my question which is the vlan on which you have an ip address on your client switch.

Also to which vlan ip address you are tying to ping on your server switch.

I just want to make sure if the interface on your client switch is up and up. Also if the source and destination vlan if different is configured for intervlan routing on your core switch.

Please reply my queries and lets try to take it to resolution.

Regards,

Ankur

Ankur,

The switch which I want to make VTP client is 3500 switch. There is no IP address assinged in that switch. I am not trying to ping from switch. There are 5 vlans which I have created in my server i.e. 10, 14, 110, 115 , 120 I am making one of the port of 3500(Client) switch to VLAN 14 and trying to ping VLAN IP which is assigned in my VTP server switch i.e. 4507R. But there is a VTP transparent(4506, same VTP domain of 4507) switch in between VTP client and VTP server. I have create the trunk from 3500 to 4506 and there is trunk between 4506 to 4507R.

There is two VLANs created in 4506 (VTP Transparent) i,e, VLAN 1 and VLAN 2.

Intervlan routing is enabled on my 4507R switch.

My main aim to communicate with 4507R where all VLANs are created and VLAN IP are assigned, by having 4506(VTP tranparent switch in between).

Hi Suresh,

There is something missing on your VTP Transparent switch which is VLAN 14. You are trying to ping from vlan 14 and the data for vlan 14 will only pass the transparent switch if you have vlan 14 present there in vlan database on transparenet switch.

As you said there is a trunk between all switches but if the middle switch does not have vlan 14 in its vlan database then that vlan will not be allowed on the trunk which is connected to server and client switch.

So create vlan 14 in your transparent switch and you will be good to go. Infact for all vlan which you want to communicate from client to server the vlans should be present in middle switch for data for that vlan to be passed.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur,

If I add the VLAN as you have said, but what will happen when I make the 4506(VTP tranparent switch) to client mode. Will it not have any effect on other switches.

Hi Suresh,

Now talking about converting the vtp transparent switch to client switch it will make the config revision number to 0 and if the config revision number is 0 it will be less than the current config revision number of the current VTP server and client switch so it will not affect any one in the network but yes it will update its VLAN database with all the vlan information from VTP server switch because its config revision number will be 0 and VTP server will be having a higher config revision number.

But if you do not convert from transparenet to client it will not affect anything and your client machine will be able to ping from client to server switch.

HTH, if yes I will appreciate if you rate the post.

Ankur

Hi Suresh,

Did you tried adding the VLAN and if yes can you confirm me the status if you are able to ping or not?

Regards,

Ankur

Ankur,

I cannot do anything in live environment. I will do on the weekend and I will get back to you.