Level 2
Level 2

Vlan 10

Domain Controller 192.168.1.1

File Server 192.168.1.2

DHCP Server 192.168.1.3

Users on Vlan 20

192.168.2.0 Subnet

If I was to implement this, would my users on Vlan 20 be able to communicate with the servers on Vlan 10 ?

What do I need to do ?

I already setup ip helper-address for DHCP to point to 192.168.1.3 for Vlan 20.

4 Replies 4

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi cisconoobie,,,

to make your user on VLAN 20 with the VLAN 10 servers you need to configure the intervlan routing which enable the communication between two vlan. you can configure it on you switch also but for that your switch must be a layer 3 switch or you have to use the router to configure the intervlan routing...

this link is having good configuration detail:http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_5_2/layer3/routing.htm

you can use this also:http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/50.shtml

hope this will help you

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Since the users and the servers are in different vlan you would need a layer-3 device to route traffic between the vlans.

IF u have a L3 device, you can configure the IP address for Interface VLAN 10 and 20 and you are good to go.

Narayan

Ok say I have a Layer 3 switch router and VTP is set to server and Vlan 10 and 20 are in it.

Will I be able to ping Vlan 10 computers from Vlan 20 computers ?

Doesnt this defeat the purpose of Vlans?

Is the point of Vlans ONLY to remove Broadcasts from other Vlans ? Is that the only purpose ?

Also, how can I check to make sure that Vlans are properly setup to communicate with eachother?

see if you have layer 3 switch then you have to creat the SVI interface so that different vlan can communicate with each other...

if you not create the intervlan routing on switch also using the SVI, your different vlan willl not communicate with each other...

so configure your switch like this...

config)# ip routing

config)# interface vlan 10

config-if)# ip address ........

# no shut

config)# interface vlan 20

config-if)# ip address ........

# no shut

# end

remember to rate this post, if it helps

regards

Devang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: