Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

vlan configuration problem

Hi ,

We have a cisco 8540 core switch connected to 2, 5500 and 1, 6009 switch through fibre uplinks ... things were going fine until we decided to create VLAN's in the organization. The 8540 being a routing switch, we were asked to provide additional uplinks for every switch such that we had 2 seperate upinks from the 8540 to all other switches. This was done so as to provide seperate uplink for each VLAN. we have done this and things seem to be workin fine ..

But was two seperate uplinks to every switch from the 8540 necessary ...?

could the same result have been acheived by using sub-interfaces on the previously existing single trunk..?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: vlan configuration problem

That is correct. You do not need two seperate uplinks to every switch from the 8540. You can configure the port on the 5500 and the 6009 as trunk port and configure subinterfaces on the 8540 gig interface. By this you can scale more(you'll not need separate link for every VLAN you have)

Regards,

-Prashanth

Hi Prashant,

We actually had thought of this .... but since 8540 being a routing switch and every port being a routing port ... there is default routing b/w the VLAN's even if i make it as a trunk port .. and i will not be able to control traffic b/w the VLANs going through in the trunk...

Is there any other way to do it ..?

I think you were asked to use 2 trunks between the 8540 and each switch just for PHYSICAL redundancy.

Regards,

JPL

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content