cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan configuration

wasimkhan786
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2950 switch with 2 vlans configured vlan 1(default) and Vlan 49 I have placed ports 18,19 and 20 in vlan 49. The hosts connected to these ports need to be able to access the dfg which is in vlan1. Is there a way to sucessfully do this without placing one of the routers interface in vlan 49 ? Is there a way to route from vlan 49 to vlan 1 accessing the dfg. I have been told I can do this using trunks ?

any help greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

rob_lay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

since the 2950 is not a layer 3 switch you won't be able to route between the vlans without something external to provide the layer 3 routing.

I'm a little unsure how you would accomplish this with a standard trunk, what is your DFG??

Is it a cisco router or cisco multilayer switch??

Hi Rob

the dfg is a

IOS (tm) Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-IS-M).

Hi Wasim,

You have to configure switchport connected to your dfg as trunk port which will carry the data for all the vlans and routing will be done on your L3 switch.

HTH

Ankur

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Wasim,

You cannot do this till the time you have a layer 3 device like router or layer 3 switch and you configure intervlan routing.

What you want is to have router between your 2 vlans for which intervlan routing is to be configured.

Trunk is used to pass the information of more than 1 vlan from a single link and then you connect your router to trunk interface and configure your router for inter vlan routing.

HOWEVER there is one way which works sometime and soemtimes does not so you cvan try and if you are luck it may work.

WHAT you can do is configure one more port for vlan 49 and then connect a single cross over cable from that port to any free port which is in vlan 1 and then host in vlan 1 may start talking to host in vlan 49 but that now always work so you may try. This is known as vlan leackage which works sometime and is a flaw in technology.

Make sure you configure ports as

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan

because bydefault 2950 ports are in dynamic desirable mode and will try to form a trunk.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Regards,

Ankur