Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

VLAN Configuration

I just wanted to ask a question about how other organizations have their VLAN setup. With my organization, we have each of our different VLANS. If we want to lets say a server be able to access all the VLANs, then we have to trunk the port the server is connected to and enable VLAN support on the NIC. In other words we have VLAN 1,2 set on the port, and then we create VLANS with our NIC software for VLAN 1,2. So the NIC has VLAN 1,2 with an ip address for each VLAN. Correct me if Im wrong, but you have to have an ip address for each VLAN your server or computer is connected to? In other words, I couldn't just enable trunking on the port and then set up the server NIC with an ip address that is a VLAN1 IP address?

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: VLAN Configuration

Inter-VLAN routing is good solution for your situation but if you have VLAN support NIC then you can do that to connect to two VLANs.

see the following link which explains InterVLAN routing by using an external router:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/50.shtml

My question is more of what other companies use in their VLAN setup. Every single person I talk to said that our setup is unique. When they open up out network connections for one of our servers, and see 8 differenent virtual connections (VLANs), they dont understand why we do this. Thats why Im asking? If this is unique, how do other companies set up their vlans on their servers. If they want their server to be able to talk to every vlan, then how do other companies implement this. Like I said, we trunk it on the port and then set up VLANS using the nic software for each of the vlans we added to the trunk. So, each server has a virtual connection (ip address,SM, DG for that network (VLAN)). This doesnt seem to be the norm from other network prof. Ive talked to. So...do other companies just attach their server to one vlan (no trunking on the switch port and no nic multiple VLAN setup on the sever) and then enable inter-vlan routing. This then enables servers to talk to any vlan that is enabled through inter-vlan routing?

When I setup a LAN in my company, I setup the switch to a single VLAN but Trunk all VLANs to the fiber ports or a single port, this way the switch is isolated to the single vlan, but can access any VLAN it needs. This is how I have always done it. Your way does seem unique, but there are more ways than one to get the job done. Though your way seems to create more work to get a PC on the network.

You didn't mention the types of switches or protocols

in use, we keep are servers on their own vlan, L3 switching, ospf for a routing protocol, and vtp pruning to turn off unused vlans

Assigning the VLAN to the NIC is a good solution for smaller organisations, where there is shared operational control for configuring both the server & network equipment.

In larger organisations, coordinating the assigning of VLANs to NICs becomes problematic. It's just easier to assign servers an IP, and let the routers handle the routing, especially if there's many VLANs and many servers, where keeping all the servers assigned to the right VLANs becomes complex.

There is another advantage of the routed approach, in that you can run tighter security, with access to servers allowed/denied by IP range.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content