cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan design - can this be done

sross35
Level 1
Level 1

I want to have 4 vlans (vlan 10,20,30,40)on a single switch, multiple ports in each vlan to the users desktop, one port per vlan will go to a port on 2 url/spam filtering boxes (2 inbound ports / 2 outbound ports per box). Each outbound port will go back to the same switch to two ports in a different vlan (vlan 100) which is the server vlan and everyone can talk to them. The outbound port to the spam box and the ports to the servers are a part of the same vlan 100. Is this possible and/or what am I missing. Thanks

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

For users to talk from one vlan to another, there needs to be a routable device that routes between the two. I dont see you mention anything about that here.Your servers and outbound port of spam filters can be in same vlan. But your clients are in different vlans.

What is your clients default gateway ? Is that set to the spam filter box ? Does the spam filter box route ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

The switch that the servers are attached to which contains vlan100 is a L3 switch and vlan100 has the IP address which is the gateway for the desktops in the vlan10,20,30,and 40 which is. Will this not work?

The only reason I am using 4 separate vlans is to force traffic through these 4 interfaces into the 2 spam filtering boxes. I then need the 4 outbound interfaces to come into the same vlan on the main switch (which is also the desktops' gateway) to communicate with the servers (including DHCP server).

I assume that you are saying that the routable device needs to be directly between the vlans in question. The spam box is a bridge only.

Would tagging help?

Thanks for the help.

I apologize for the previous post. We currently have a setup with two switches but I am trying to make this work with one switch as in my original post. The switch in the original post is a L3 switch and the one that is the gateway for the desktops. The ip address is assigned to the vlan100. 10,20,30,and 40 do not have ip's assigned to the vlans.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: