cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan down in cisco 4507R

Mint_Zhang
Level 1
Level 1

Backgroup- we recently found some alarm info in Hp Openview that reported some server down and up(flapping)in a short time.These are in vlan11 in cisco 4507R,also these server has second net adapter to connect another vlan 9 in 4507R,We checked 4507 logging no find some down and up info for interface.Check the server status also is ok.My quesion is whether it once really down or not,aside from that, i wonder if just to occur in vlan 11 and other is ok,we current hold that it caused as resault of older IOS(12.1(20)EW2). And no more ideas for that.I was not found more caveats for this ios version.I wanna know whether it could solve via upgrade ios.For some reason,I can't open case via my CCO.Who can give me some ideas.Attachment is result of show tech.

Regards

12 Replies 12

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mint,

If no logs has been genrated on Switch and no logs have been genrated on Server , then i guess problem might be in HP open view.

regards

Neo

Hi

Thanks for your reply.I think so,But i wanna know just it occur in vlan11 and others not.

By now, everything is ok.We try to reappear the problem to explain for customer.

Hi ,

I havent worked on HP open view , but may be some misconfiguration for that particular VLAN.

regards

Neo

For us,I wanna confirmed that port really once downed or not.Just show logging enough to prove it?

Hi ,

Yes log will be genrated for port flapping. Just be sure that you are viewing the log of that time only when its showing on HP open view or if the time difference is there between those two , then you are calculating it right .

regards

Neo

Neo

Because the equipment was not on my side.I can do test that pull and insert cable to check logging whether it will genrated.I attmped find a offical explanation to prove the port is ok for customer due to i current can't open case from cisco tac.

HI

Can u verify the STP.becoz it might be due to vlan leaking.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood,

If it could have been STP issue , then i guess it would have gone into permanent block state , moreover if there was STP issue it must have genrated log on switch .Morelight can be put by by the owner ........

regards

Neo

:)

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Mint,

At this point of time you will not able to tell what all ports got flapped.

In Cat4K IOS it be default doesnot generate logs for link flapping, that's why you were not able to see the logs and hence track the ports.

Please enable "logging link event-status " command under the interfaces to send the log to the switch buffer or syslog server. This will help you for sure in the near future if you have that kind of problem.

Now the release notes show me that starting from 12.225SG we have the suport for the above listed command but I am pretty sure that I have even used it on 12.1.20EW. Please check that.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_2_25s/cmdref/int_sess.htm

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi

Thanks in advance.By the way,I wanna know how to monitor vlan interface.If just vlan flapping and link is up possbile?

Hi Mint,

AFAIK vlan interface generally do not flap till the time all the ports at layer 2 on which vlan is been configured are flapping.

If even one layer 2 port for that vlan is up or if you have a trunk port which carry that vlan is up the vlan logical interface will not flap.

Incase vlan is deleted from vlan database the logica linterface will go down but will not flap.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur