cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN for Microsoft Cluster Srv heartbeat

gilson_machado
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring the swithces for the SAN and VMWARE environment and the Microsoft cluster uses the heartbeat between servers using 2 NIC cards. the second NIC is connected to a separated VLAN for hearbeat signaling. I prepared the VLAN but it is not working. Microsoft does not have a clue. I am using layer2 only. Does any one knows about any problem related to this case or knows if it is really necessary to have a separated VLAN for the heartbeat?

Thanks for the help,

Gilson

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

The IP address of the heartbeat NIC needs to be in a completely different subnet to the other NIC in the server. If you are not connecting the heartbeat NIC to a switch (for geographically separated cluster) VLAN setup is not necessary.

Gilson,

Are the servers in the cluster in the same room? A direct crossover cable is the simplest and most effective way to configure the back-end link between the two servers, whether copper Cat5 UTP or fiber optic.

If Gig Ethernet over copper, you can make a crossover cable using the following pinouts:

1-----3

2-----6

3-----1

6-----2

5-----7

4-----8

7-----5

8-----4

Remember, Gig Ethernet uses all four pairs, so they all need to be crossed; Fast Ethernet only uses two of the four pairs, so you can get away with crossing just the first two pairs listed (1,2 and 3,6).

If you don't want to or can't use a crossover cable, then if both servers plug into the same switch just create a VLAN that exists only on those two ports. Configure "spanning-tree portfast" on them too, if you want them to go directly to forwarding traffic as soon as they see a link.

If you're going across several switches in order to geographically disperse your servers, you should make sure that the heartbeat VLAN gets priority across any VLAN trunks, so that the heartbeat doesn't get drowned out by high-volume traffic on the trunks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: