Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLAN how to

I have tried to configure serveral of my 3550 switches with different VLANs...as a test I created VLAN2 enabled VTP and VTP name is HRT. I created the trunks between switches using ISL. I can not access the rest of the Domain from VLAN2 which is in a seperate broadcast domain. I tried to configure my 2651 router IOS 12.2 but when I follow the directions from Cisco web site it says to set the encapsulation for the Ethernet trunk but I do not have that option on the router for the Ethernet ports. Please any information, configuration examples would be apprecated. My intent is to segment using VLANs but I still need the workstation in VLAN2 to access email server in VLAN1

Thanks

AL

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: VLAN how to

The 3550 itself can do inter VLAN routing. Configure Layer 3 VLAN interfaces for both VLAN1 and 2. The following page should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/189.html

For future reference, it looks like you were trying to configure the encapsulation on the 2600 directly on the ethernet interface. You have to do this via a sub-interface or interface vlan X.

Thanks...the article will help. However I read that the default gateway for each server and host needs to be that of the VTP server switch.

Problem is corporate wide we use DHCP at the workstation level....

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content