cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan interfaces on Cat6000 / Sup1 5.5(1) /MSFCII 12.1(7a)E) constantly down

mawalk2
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 x 6009, connected together with 2x1GEthernet (channeled). HRSP is running between each vlan interface on the two Catalysts. The system was running fine for a minimum of 8 months.

Problem:

We had all our vlan interfaces on the second Cat6000 / MSFCII in a down/down state. This happened right after a 8port Gigabit blade crashed completely (hardware was out of order). Note: This was not a problem because no ports were in the vlans anymore... We still had many end stations connected via FastEthernet in different vlans!

It was still possible for some (not many...) end stations to connect to the management ip of the Sup1, then a "session 15" up to the MSFCII.

The only thing that helped bringing up the vlan interfaces again was reloading the MSFCII. Strange was as well that almost all stations, connected to the first Cat6000 (should not have been afftected), did not have Layer3 connectivity to the default gateway (HRSP address on the two Catalysts, active gateway was always first Cat6000)?.

I can't find any bug, nor release notes describing this issue. Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

Typically the MSFC interface would be down/down if all the ports in the vlan is gone. In this case, I believe that you had ports in that vlan still in connected state. You should have done show trunk 15/1 to see if that port is trunking. If not then you would have all the vlan's in down state. This sometimes happens, I can't remember whether it is a hardware/software problem. Continue to observe the switch and open a TAC case if the MSFC mis-behaves again. You should upgrade to 6.3.7 on the supervisor and 12.1.11bE4 which are both known good stable codes.