cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN members access to server and internet

mohawk53
Level 1
Level 1

I have 1 Cisco 2600 router and 1 Cisco 2950 switch (IOS 12.0 3.5 wc 1)on a network segment. I want the VLAN members on the segment to have access to the server and to the internet. Will trunking a port on the switch and then plugging the server into that port be the answer? Also will the server be the device that VLAN members go through to access the internet? One more thing, when I tried to trunk a port the switch would not take the command (switchport trunk encapsulation) so would the port be trunked just by using (switchport mode trunk) command?

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not sure what trunking will buy for you. By configuring a port to trunk, you allow multiple VLANs to be carried over a single NIC. Do you have multiple VLANs? Does the NIC on the server support trunking? To answer your question on trunk encapsulation configuration, 2950 supports only dot1q trunking and hence you do not see the encapsulation command.

If you have users not able to connect to the internet, check to see if they have correct default gateway configured

Thank you for your reply. Yes I was trying to configure 2 VLANs on the one segment. I don't know if the NIC on the server supports trunking, I tried to plug the server into the trunked port on the switch and ping the server from a host on one of the VLANs and it timed out. So I'm thinking the NIC doesn't support trunking. Will the dot1q encapsulation work with ISL encapsulation on the subinterfaces of the router? If so, will traffic from other hosts on the segment be able to go through the interface on the router that has been divided into subinterfaces, for example to go out to the internet? Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: