Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

vlan mismatch error

All,

I have investigated and made sure the speed/duplex have been changed between both devices attached to int-faces.

here is my error.

02-ext-liv FastEthernet0/20 (40).

Feb 20 16:22:18.711 PST: %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/xx

2900 series switch.

What other approach shall I take to pin point the issue since this is only informational on the error log.

-fz

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES
Purple

Re: vlan mismatch error

Hi,

The 'error' message is simply because you have used different VLAN IDs on the access ports at either end. CDP discovers this and logs a warning. The message is pretty harmless in itself.

There are a couple of options to get rid of it:

- configure the access port to be the same VLAN on the two switches at either end of the link

--- OR ----

- enable CDP version 1 on your switches. YOu can do this using: 'no cdp advertise-v2'.

The latter option is simpler and you don't really lose much...

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Purple

This will not hurt anything , if you want to get rid of it you'll have to match the vlan id on both ends of the link . Say the far end of the link is in vlan 20 , then you have to put your switchports on the 2900 inot vlan 20 also along with the layer3 SVI that you manage the switch with , this would get rid of the message . The switch will work fine even with this message in the log if you do nothing to the switch .

If your native VLAN on opposite ends of a trunk, you can change it by entering the same command on each end of the trunk:

switchport trunk native vlan XX. Make sure that the native VLAN is significant to your network.

Thanks to all!! Ialways go by a few rules. No major changes on a FRIDAY and don't it if it's not broken!! lol

-fz

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content