Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN Port Assignment

How do you remove a port from a VLAN.

If a port has been assigned to a port using "set vlan vlan_ID mod/port". How do you remove the port and not the whole VLAN. "clear vlan vlan_ID" will remove the vlan. "clear vlan vlan _ID mod/port" get unrecognized command reply.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES

Re: VLAN Port Assignment

HI Gousers99,

In Cisco switches there is no way you can keep any port without vlan. By default all the ports are in vlan 1 when you get a brand new switch.

So if you want to remove any port which is in some other vlans bring it back to default vlan which is vlan 1.

Remember switches like Extreme and Riverstone comes with blank ports (no assigmenet of vlans) but Cisc comes with all the ports belonging to vlan 1.

So go ahead move it to vlan 1 if you don't want that port to be for some other vlan.

HTH

Ankur

The port is in three VLANs. I want to remove the port from only one of the VLANs.

Hi gousers99,

Which switch you are having. Is it a trunk port?

I remember only in old 2900 and 3500 XL switches you can assign multiple vlans on a single port but not in latest and higher end model.

Can you please update the switch model, IOS version and that particular config?

Regards,

Ankur

OK I checked the switch and a sh po shows the port assigned to one VLAN, but sh vlan shows multiple VLANs on the port.

But I think you've solve this for me.

I'm not used to CATOS, thanks for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies