cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN proposal

apf3885
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to set up a switch to act like two smaller switches. Each of the smaller switches containing seperate networks. Is it possible to set up VLANs by network ID? Or should I just seperate half the ports for one vlan and half for the other?

If I do this can I connect the networks just by having one of the ports go to a router by trunking. Or do I have to have one port for each vlan go to the router.... How should I do this?

3 Replies 3

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

What type of switch are you talking about? If you are talking about a 3548 or something along those lines, yes you will need a router to accomplish the inter vlan routing. Essentially you need to created a subinterface on the ethernet interface of the router, and that will bet the default gateway of the vlan interfaces on the switch. Let me know if you need anything else.

I would be working with either a 3com superstack 3 3000 xm or if needed a catalyst 2950.

What do you think?

tdeganus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

This is pretty easy to do; setup the vlans the way you want; then trunk to the router port. Make sure you are trunking to a fastE and setup sub interfaces according to your vlans.

Chalaco