cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Prunning to the remote closet

b.withrow
Level 1
Level 1

We are doing vlan prunning to all of our remote wiring closets. I need to add a vlan to the list of vlan's to be trunked to a specific closet. the line in the config currently says:

set trunk 3/9 on dot1q 1,208,395,470,730,740,745

I want to add 665 to the list. Should I just type:

set trunk 3/9 on dot1q 1,208,395,470,665,730,740,745

will this make the netowrk "hiccup"? I would like to do it during business hours, but if it will cause problems I'll schedule a time. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

allowing another VLAN on a trunk should have no impact to your network (The only effect should be a STP TCN sent in VLAN 665). I've done it several times during business hours.

Just use

set trunk 3/9 665

command and it will add VLAN 665 to the allowed list on port 3/9. (Don't forget to allow it on the other trunk side.)

(I suppose VLAN 665 is already existing in your network. If not, you have to create it using set VLAN 665 name .... command on a VTP server first.)

Regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

allowing another VLAN on a trunk should have no impact to your network (The only effect should be a STP TCN sent in VLAN 665). I've done it several times during business hours.

Just use

set trunk 3/9 665

command and it will add VLAN 665 to the allowed list on port 3/9. (Don't forget to allow it on the other trunk side.)

(I suppose VLAN 665 is already existing in your network. If not, you have to create it using set VLAN 665 name .... command on a VTP server first.)

Regards,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: