Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Question

js358
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All:

Have a question regarding VLANS. I'm running 2 sonicwalls each with their own DMZ. I would like to expand the DMZ on each FW without purchasing 2 seperate switches.

I have a cisco 1900 series switch and was wondering if I create 2 VLANS, one for each DMZ, will this afford me the same security as if each were on their own switch.

thanks

4 Replies 4

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

Yes it will.

Thanks

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

There isn't a simple answer to this question. In general, it's a bad idea to rely on VLANs in of themselves for security. There have been so-called "VLAN hopping" attacks in the past, particularly on older switches, in which it was possible to send specially-crafted packets between VLANs on layer-2 switches.

I haven't heard of any vulnerabilities like this lately, but I think the above points out the importance of keeping in mind that VLANs weren't designed to provide security. If the security requirements between your two DMZs are high, then I think you absolutely want firewalling capability in between them (i.e., 1 switch per firewall in your case). If on the other hand inter-DMZ traffic isn't a big concern, then 2 VLANs on 1 switch may be a good way to save some money.

Thanks. This was a big help.