cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN root bridge selection

ajamua
Level 1
Level 1

If root bridge selection is done on a VLAN by VLAN basis how does a VLAN determine its root bridge if one is never selected for it?

I created several new VLANs and did not select root bridges for each VLAN. I believed that if one was not selected that it would choose whatever the root bridge is for the default VLAN [VLAN1]. This was incorrect because I checked on the individual VLANs to see what the root bridge was and see that all the new ones are different than the others. Does the vtp server have anything to do with this selection? I doubt it but I see that alot of the VLANs I create previously are using the VTP server as the root bridge.

1 Reply 1

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Each VLAN that runs STP will always select a Root Bridge. There are default STP configurations that are used to determine a root branch. See the STP section of the following site for more info on STP:

www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/

VTP doesn't have anything to do with Root selection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: