cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN routing on Catalyst plus external WAN router issue......

hullmackem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Bit of advice if possible.

I've got a project to implement VLAN's on a MAN, which is easy enough, using CAT4506 and a mixture of 3750 and 2950 switches. The Vlan aspect is OK but I'm a bit unsure as to how to integrate the WAN into the design.

I have two core WAN access sites each with 2 * cat4506 switches of which one at each site attach to a WAN router (3725)

The CAT4506 switches will be doing the vlan routing but the 3725 routers (one at each site in a HSRP group) will be routing the WAN. Obviously these need to be attached to the catalysts for WAN access. As I have seperate routers for vlan routing and wan routing, what is the best way to configure this ?????

Is configuring a seperate VLAN for the routers the best idea ? or is it best to use the sub interface option on the router ethernet ports ?

Do I just use a static route of last resort on the Catalyst pointing to the routers ?

Help :-)

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

When you arte still in the design-phase, I want to strongly discourage you from designing a network with vlans that span multiple sites.

You will always run int STP issues in one way or another. The following link will give some sensible information on this subject:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns147/ns17/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a00800a3e16.shtml

I hope that it will point you to the right (or at leats an optimal) solution for your specific design.

Regards,

Leo

Yes true, the vlans are only buildings wide not MAN wide. The main problem is the integration of the routers and layer 3 switches.

Thanksfor the help though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: