cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan routing with cisco router and linksys switch

cdiogo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a linksys switch width vlan configured, connected to a Cisco router (1841), but I cant route between vlan’s.

Please help me!!

It Works with a Cisco switch perfectly(with the same ip and vlan).

11 Replies 11

Hello,

can you post the configuration of your 1841 ? The problem might be the way you have set up the trunking, I think Linksys supports dot1q only, while Cisco defaults to ISL...

Regards,

GP

Yes. Linksys supports only Dot1q, and the router sub-interfaces of Cisco 1841 are configured with encapsulation dot1q.

The cisco router has 3 sub-interfaces one for vlan1 (default) and 2 more interface for all other vlan, with a trunk in port 1 that belong to Vlan1(Default).

each vlan has a different network ip, Vlan 1 172.16.1.0; Vlan 10 172.16.10.0 ; vlan 20 172.16.20.0, and subnetmask 255.255.255.0.

A computer attached to linksys switch, in the vlan 1, can ping all sub interfaces on router but not the PC on other vlan in.

Hello,

stupid question maybe, but can you check the default gateways (and subnet masks) the computers in the other Vlans are using ?

Also, as mentioned before, can you post your config, we might be able to spot something...

Regards,

GP

The computers are using the default gatway of the sub-interface of the vlan.

Vlan 1 172.16.1.1; Vlan 10 172.16.10.1 ; vlan 20 172.16.20.1, subnetmask 255.255.255.0.

Example: A computer atached in the vlan 10 is configured with the default-gatway Vlan 10 172.16.10.1 and subnetmask 255.255.255.0.

I can post the config of the router only tomorrow

Hello,

just one more thing: what is the model of the Linksys switch you are using ?

Regards,

GP

Hey Friend,

Linksys may support only dot1q but Not neceaasry that it automatically negotiates trunking so have you configured trunk manually in linksys switch please check that and make sure trunking is been configured and operational.

HTH

Ankur

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Cdiogo,

Does your linksys switch supports trunking because without trunking intervlan routing will not work.

the reason why it was working with cisco switch was because you cisco switch might have been configured for trunking to carry all the vlan information.

Please check the trunking status again on linksys switch .

HTH

Ankur

Yes. the linksys switch (SRW2024 24-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch) supports trunking.

If you want you can visit the link and see that the switch supports vlan, dot1q and trunking.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1123638180432&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Hi Cdiogo,

I understand that it supports trunking , vlan and dot1q but have you manually configured it or not?

There are many switches like 2950 , 3550 which even if you do not configure try to negotiate and form a trunk but some switch like 2900XL and other switches need a manual configuration.

So confirm if linksys is manually configured for trunking or not.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi All,

We are seeing a similar problem but with a 3650 router and an Allied Telesyn 8724XL switch. It seems the 3650 is not able to arp into the Vlan space to find devices connected to it behind the switch. If one of these devices pings out for their gateway then this device is reachable from VLAN1 but after a couple of minutes this entry ages out of the router's arp table and can no longer be pinged again.

Possibly this is the same problem as Cdiogo is having.

Thanks,

John

yes. I´ve manually configured it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: