cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Suggestion?

JeffG1
Level 3
Level 3

Does any one have any suggestions on where and when to setup vlans With a 6509 Switch with MSFC and about 200 to 250 users?

Should I place all my servers in One Vlan and then split my users into vlans based on functional groups? I have one subnet with 255.255.254 range handed to me from my wan group... Everything will be 100mb ethernet as I do nto have Gigabit cards for my servers.

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

If I could do it again, I would assign multiple vlans for server groups i.e. all netware servers in a vlan, all NT boxes in another one, and a few more for the unix boxes. On the user side, I would assign a vlan per workgroupswitch or per wiring closet. In this way you can maximally prune the vlans on the trunks. This is a model that I expect to perform better then what we have now. What most worries me is the background traffic on the server-vlan (our only one) which is 30-50kbit/s during office hours. On the other hand, we have no acute performance problems and the adminstration is easy. Assigning more (server)-vlans will make life more difficult for your administrators.