cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Suggestion?

JeffG1
Level 3
Level 3

Does any one have any suggestions on where and when to setup vlans With a 6509 Switch with MSFC and about 200 to 250 users?

Should I place all my servers in One Vlan and then split my users into vlans based on functional groups? I have one subnet with 255.255.254 range handed to me from my wan group... Everything will be 100mb ethernet as I do nto have Gigabit cards for my servers.

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

If I could do it again, I would assign multiple vlans for server groups i.e. all netware servers in a vlan, all NT boxes in another one, and a few more for the unix boxes. On the user side, I would assign a vlan per workgroupswitch or per wiring closet. In this way you can maximally prune the vlans on the trunks. This is a model that I expect to perform better then what we have now. What most worries me is the background traffic on the server-vlan (our only one) which is 30-50kbit/s during office hours. On the other hand, we have no acute performance problems and the adminstration is easy. Assigning more (server)-vlans will make life more difficult for your administrators.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: