Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Trouble on 3548 XL

brian
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've recently setup VLANS on a 48port 3548xl Switch, but when I do a sh run the port remains Shutdown. I've ran no shutdown on it, makes no difference.

The Media is ethernet, and the switch is the only one on the network.

A sh vlan brief shows ports are assigned and status id active.

Any Ideas? It should have been pretty straightforward i would have thought.

Thanks in advance,

brian

5 Replies 5

nsandberg
Level 1
Level 1

How many different VLANS are you running on the network? I know we are running 3 different active VLANS, and since only one can be set as the management VLAN, all other VLANS are still active on the switch, but will show as shutdown as they are not actively managed. Are you running a fiber connection? If so, check the settings on the fiber connection and make sure it is set actively. Let me know if I can be of any help, as we have experienced similar problems ourselves - email me at sandbergns@corning.com

czabel
Level 1
Level 1

Everytime you create a vlan you have to enter

"no shut" in the config mode to enable the vlan.

After you exit the config mode make sure and do a

"write term" to review your changes and then "write mem".

efransua
Level 1
Level 1

Try deleting all the vlan except the default vlan.

Go into vlan databse, delete all the vlan showing up in the show vlan brief command.

reboot save changes.

Go into vlan database create your vlan, and I believe that will work.

Some times the vlan database needs to be cleared out...

wyzykowskir
Level 1
Level 1

Only one vlan can be "unshut" at a time on the 3548xl switches.

Only one vlan can be "unshut" at a time on the 3548xl switches which is the management vlan.

Form the message you posted, I think the "interface vlan xxx" is down, not the physical ports of switch.

Enter configuration mode of the interface vlan which is in "shut down" mode, use command "management" to change its status.