cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN trunk over Frame Relay

Mark Hovey
Level 1
Level 1

I want to define a VLAN 101 within a branch office on one port of a CAT3524XL, that will in turn go to a router in that branch and be trunked back to the main office router (through a frame relay connection). Once in that main router, I want that one VLAN to specifically be directed to one of the unused ethernet interfaces and in turn to another 3500XL switch for distribution. There are already VLANs in the branch that are connected to the main office, but they all come out on the main branch router's e0/0 interface. I need to make an exception with the new VLAN 101 by forcing all VLAN 101 traffic to be on the e1/1. Please HELP!!!

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Mark,

Trunking is not possible across a wan link like frame-relay. You can route traffic from the remote branch network, across the frame link and be able to communicate to vlans (networks) in the main office. Is there any specific reason why you want to do it this way ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Mark

If your requirement is to be able to direct traffic that originated on that one VLAN to a different port on the central router, would it work to configure Policy Based Routing and set it to match the source address of the remote VLAN and set next hop or outbound interface to what you need?

I agree with Sankar that trying to trunk the VLAN over Frame Relay is problematic. If you really think that you need to do that I wonder if you could provision another PVC on the Frame Relay, configure a subinterface for that DLCI, and bridge that one VLAN onto a dedicated PVC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, my requirement is to be able to direct traffic that originated on that one VLAN to a different port on the central router, where there is a captive portal device which will manage that remote traffic. I may have used the wrong term..."trunk". I really need full visibility and control of that remote VLAN. I have other VLANS (voice, data, management) in the remote branch, and they all come back through the frame. I really need to take this particular VLAN and "point" it to the available interface in the main office. Does that sound feasible with PBR? I will read more on it.

Thanks for the info Rick. Any other ideas or help is appreciated.

Mark

I am open to suggestions on how to get the new VLAN to "extend" into the main office. I have a captive portal server there that I need to have visibility of that remote VLAN to control traffic there.

You can probably do IRB on the router by which you will bridge all traffic on the Ingress FE port on the router to the Frame relay DLCI you have on the router.

It may jus suit your needs.

Pls refer to this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094663.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco