cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Trunking Port on a 5500 - CAM Address 0100c0cccccc - DOS attack

colleen-smith
Level 1
Level 1

Last week I had a DOS attack (not Slammer) on the inside of the network. The MAC address of the source was the ISL trunking port default address listed above. I have multiple non-native VLANS on the 5500 (four). These VLANs have servers connected to them. I have a few other switches, 2900s that connect to the 5500 on native VLAN 1. We first suspected that a user on one the 2900s was the culprit, and got all the them to close all applications, stay on network, and i was going to disable the ports they come in on, one at a time. The DOS attack stopped before they were all out. QUESTION - do all the devices on the VLANs on the 5500 (not vlan 1) use the ISL trunking port, or only the devices that "connect" with VLAN 1. At this point I still don't know the source of the DOS attack .

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The ISL trunk "extends" a vlan beyond a local switch. Traffic for a vlan is forwarded through the ISL trunk to all other switches with ports in that vlan.

The source adress that you specified is a multicast adress and the vendor-code is Cisco. I would say that this is probably not the source of the DOS attack.

I was told by Cisco TAC that this address is the default Cisco address for the ISL trunking port. So, if that is correct, the question is: Is the ISL trunking port on the 5500 used by the different Vlans on this switch, or only on Different Vlans on another switch?

01-00-0c-cc-cc-cc-cd is cisco shared spanning tree (SSTP) MAC

This is for other VLANs other then VLAN 1. Cisco uses different spanning tree groups for each VLAN on the switch and over a trunk link the other VLANs will use this MAC.

There could have been a spanning tree reconvergence occuring at the time when you saw these messages.

Erick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: