Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN Trunking to an NT 4.0 server

Somehow I feel the solution to this is fairly easy, I can't seem to think it up for some reason,,

I have several NT servers connected to a 4550-3 switch. These servers have two IP addresses bound to the NIC, does anyone know how I can set things up so both VLANS can communicate to NIC ? I tried trunking,, 802.1q and allowed VLANS, didn't work,, I'm researching how to change encapsulation on NIC...

Any tips are greatly appreciated...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: VLAN Trunking to an NT 4.0 server

The only way you can trunk to a host is if the NIC supports 802.1q or ISL, standard NICs do not do this, you have to buy one with trunking support. Intel made them at one time, don't know if they still do.

If the IP addresses really have to be in different subnets, then you could put a secondary IP address on the router interface, thus having two subnets in a single VLAN.

If the host is a web or FTP server, then perhaps you could just use addresses in the same subnet.

2 REPLIES

The only way you can trunk to a host is if the NIC supports 802.1q or ISL, standard NICs do not do this, you have to buy one with trunking support. Intel made them at one time, don't know if they still do.

If the IP addresses really have to be in different subnets, then you could put a secondary IP address on the router interface, thus having two subnets in a single VLAN.

If the host is a web or FTP server, then perhaps you could just use addresses in the same subnet.

Already started researching NICs that support 802.1Q, 3COM and Intel still have a few. I try to avoid secondary addresses as much as possible, I was hoping somebody may have come up with a neat trick,, I'll delete one of the vlans and apply the address as a secondary to the other one,,

Thanks !!!!

Ray

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content