Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan

ouartil
Level 1
Level 1

hi, i am very confiused with vlans,

i have a manageble switch 3com, i wanted tu test the vlan to show to a girl that i am mister vlan!!,

so i create vlan 2 and vlan 3, and there is a default vlan 1. i putted my computer on a port in vlan 2, and another computer in vlan 3, and i have tried a ping between them, i expected not to work, and it work, i have waited 5 mn, and it could still ping between 2 differnet vlans.

why?

thanks.

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Can you verify whether the switch ports into which you had the PCs plugged into, where in the appropriate vlans ???

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

yes i have cheked it out! and i am sure, they are in the appropriate port.

why?

thanks

hi

did u check whether there is a router connected to the switch and probably when a routing on a stick was configured, it would by default does it for all vlans and that could be one reason why this is happening.

also is it possible for you to paste n show what you did.

cheers

nerdv

no, there is no router on a stick, and i can't paste the configuration because it's a 3 com switch and there is not cli for that, its a web interface.

i think know that the problem is in the 3 com switch, some think should be desabled and i have to enable it! but what?

best regards.

hi,

i have notice that the ageing time is set to 1800 sec.

what's the agein time, and is it the probléme?

thanks/

after pinging look at the arp table of the pc (arp -a) and see if it has an arp entry for the other pc. That will tel you if its talking directly, whether the vlans are isolated from each other or not. If it doesn't have an arp entry for the pc then do a trace and see what it is using as a gateway router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: