cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs across switches without trunking

bwindle
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming that you only have one VLAN, is it possible to have that single VLAN reach across multiple switches without trunk ports? I've inherited a network of a handful of Cat 6506s, and Cat4006's, which have one big flat /22 in a single VLAN. I'd like to break it up into smaller chunks and seperate VLANs, but I'm rather suprised that it appears to be working with one VLAN but without trunks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

Since you have one vlan , it does not require that trunks be configured between the switches. This is a general misconception that inter-switch links cannot be access links. They can be. Infact, you do not have to trunk inter-switch links when only one vlan is being carried in the entire network. The need for configuring inter-switch links as trunk links only arises when you have more then one vlan to transport.

thanks

Salman Z.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

Since you have one vlan , it does not require that trunks be configured between the switches. This is a general misconception that inter-switch links cannot be access links. They can be. Infact, you do not have to trunk inter-switch links when only one vlan is being carried in the entire network. The need for configuring inter-switch links as trunk links only arises when you have more then one vlan to transport.

thanks

Salman Z.

And... if i want to have mre than one vlan?, and cannot confiugre trunks (is not supported for example) ....

pp.

Nopes you cant pas multiple VLANs without trunking. You could may be look at dot1q tunneling but if the switch doesnt support trunking it wont support tunneling as well i guess. You cud probably as many links bt s/ws as VLANs(gud old way)

Actully you can run seperate access port links per vlan, chewing up a seperate physical port per vlan on each switch. There was a 2900 series switch I had a long time ago that supported vlans but not trunks.

It had a feature called multi vlan that you could add to a port, but this was a way of letting one port talk to all vlans and was messy.

But you could run a seperate cable for each vlan. if you have 5 vlans then 5 cables between switch A and switch B, port 1 vlan 1, port 2 vlan2, port 3 vlan3, etc...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: