Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VLANs and Trunking

Okay, I know this is not strictly a Cisco question as the switches in question are HP ProCurve 2524's, but hopefully I'll be granted a pardon for that. I'm trying to create a network with two VLANs who don't speak to each other but can each access the internet on their own through a Cisco 1721 router. I know I need to set up two different VLANs on the network and that I'll set up access-lists and subinterfaces on the one fast ethernert interface on the router. But here's the real question: the network I need to keep separate is all on switch 3. So obviously, I put every port on that switch on VLAN 2. Now, switch 3 goes to port 0/24 on switch 2. So I put interface 0/24 on switch 2 into VLAN 2 as well, and make switch 2's uplink, port 0/25 a trunking port. Here's the problem though: switch 2 is connected to switch 1, which is connected to the router. Obviously I can't make that incoming port on switch 1 part of VLAN 2, since some traffic from VLAN 1 will be coming through it! Do I simply set up switch 1's uplink port to do trunking and leave it at that, or is there some sort of strangeness I need to do in order to get switch 1 to pass along traffic from both VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 to the router?

1 REPLY
Purple

Re: VLANs and Trunking

I think you've got the right idea there. Configure the interface between the router and switch1 as a trunk interface. Then, create ethernet sub-interfaces on the 1721 for both of the VLANs. If you don't want inter-vlan traffic between the VLANs, create appropriate ACLs on these two sub-interfaces.

That should do it.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content